Kian said dat we shd post up movie reviews everytime we watch a movie. So these r the 2 movies we watched recently:
Singapore Dreaming
Cast: no hunks nor babes, but the acting is good
Entertainment: ok
Plot: full marks
Overall: 3.5 (out of 5)
Max price worth: a wkday sneak preview tix ($8)
Typical spore reality show abt how Singaporeans like to dream abt getting rich, making lotsa $$ so dat u can drive a BMW, live in a condo, enjoy the membership of a country club, blahblahblah…. But in the mist of climbing up the social ladder, u’ve neglect the feelings of those ard u, taking them for granted & even via wif ur family members for fortune left behind by the deceased.
This is a muz watch for singaporeans who r trapped in similar situation… will make them realized not everything can be bought by money… jus like kinship, frenship, love & trust, and most impt ur health& life. In the story, liu qian yi won 100million toto, but the very nx day, he died of a sudden heart attack. This is the irony of life, u may be dreaming to get rich ur whole life, but so wat? U might not even hav the life to enjoy the $$!
Competitiveness is oso driving everyone crazy. Parents scold their child for getting 95 marks for spelling instead of 100 marks, sending the poor child for tuitions when he’s only in kindergarden! In order to live a better life, to earn more $$, the husband is forced out of doing something he likes, into a job dat has a better career prospect but which he totally has no interest in doing, and thus of course wont perform well! N when he doesn’t earn enuff, the whole family will look down on him. Quote the wife, “ppl oni look at wat car u drive, wat house u live in, how much u earn!”
I think the movie gives a true reflection of typical sporeans. Unless u decide to emigrate to another country of a slower pace, there’s really nothing u can do to escape this reality of the society in spore. U’ve to outperform, outshine & outsmart others in order to survive. It’s all abt the “very valuable” piece of paper called the university graduation certificate. Dat’s y kids nowadays has no childhood, makes me realized y sengkang & punggol (new towns wif “this era” parents) has no street soccer court, coz the kids r all kept in the house by their parents to study! Haha… so of course no need lor! Come to think abt it, my parents oso belonged to this category of “kiasu” parents. From young, I learnt ballet, piano, speech & drama, abacus, swimming, art, blahblahblah… my wkends r always packed wif enrichment courses, but still I played catching under my blk, goes to the playground jus like other kids…. My parents used to tell me learning so many things r for my own good, it’s to cultivate me into a better person, so dat I’ll hav an edge over the rest of my mates. At dat time, I really feel great coz my classmates will envy dat I noe how to play the piano, how to dance ballet… even in sch, I’m picked to play the piano during music lessons for the class, selected to be the lead dancer during performances, acted in numerous staged dramas in theaters & took part in abacus & art competitions. I treasured all these memories as not everyone can get these experiences, but seriously, neither a grade8 piano cert nor a grade8 ballet cert nor any trophy can get me into the big4 or banks or mnc now! How can we make parents understand dat giving their child so many enrichment stuffs doesn’t give them an edge over their mates when they ultimately step into the working society?!
The Host
Cast: no hunks nor babes, but the acting is good
Effects: nothing much
Entertainment: ok
Plot: middle portion is not bad, but I dun like the ending
Overall: 2.5 (out of 5)
Max price worth: a wkday non peak tix ($7)
Nothing much to comment on this actually, jus like kian said, korean shows r really not very up to standard as compared to the US ones, but compared wif the other Korean movies it’s considered better than them. Story is abt family ties, how the youngest child of the family is kidnapped by a sea monster, bringing abt the union of family(previously the family is scattered wif each busy wif his/her own life) as they set out to rescue her despite all odds.
I like the little gal, I think her acting is good, & I feel sad dat after being so brave overcoming so much difficulties to stay alive, she still died at the end… & the family is not able to be reunited… I’m touched by how hard the family members tried to rescue their beloved apple of the family, even to the extend of giving up their lives…